Why I’m here for you
"My ability to communicate clearly, concisely and comprehensibly after listening attentively with my patients is the key to success!”
- Microsurgical Andrology
- Male Infertility (Including Testosterone Deficiency, Sperm Retrieval, Vasectomy Reversal)
Teaching the REIs of tomorrow
- Clinical Professor of Urology in the Department of Urology, Louisiana State University State University Health Sciences Center
- Education: M.D., Louisiana State University School of Medicine, New Orleans
- Residency: Urology, Louisiana State University Charity Hospital
- Fellowship: Male Infertility, U.C.L.A. Medical Center, Tyler Clinic, Albert Einstein Medical Center, New York Medical College, Cornell New York Hospital, National Institutes of Health
About Dr. Joseph La Nasa Jr.
Dr. Joseph La Nasa Jr. is a board-certified urologist, with a focus on reproductive health and andrology, and has been in full-time practice since 1982. He specializes in male infertility, including therapy for andropause (testosterone deficiency) and microsurgical sperm retrieval for patients with obstructive and nonobstructive azoospermia (absence of sperm in the semen). Dr. La Nasa has considerable experience in microsurgical applications in andrology and performs most surgical procedures at Omega Hospital in Metairie.
He has provided therapy to over 10,000 infertile couples. He has performed over 3,000 microsurgical corrective procedures including vasectomy reversal and spermatic vein ligation for correction of varicocele. His practice also includes medical therapy of hormonal problems affecting sexual function such as low libido, impotence and premature ejaculation.
Dr. La Nasa has served as Clinical Professor of Urology at LSU where he also chaired the urology department. He was also previously the urologist and andrologist for the Urology Clinic of Northeast Louisiana.
In 2010, he joined Tulane Medical School as a clinical associate professor of urology and andrology, where he continues to teach residents and medical students. That same year, Dr. La Nasa teamed up with The Fertility Institute to help treat patients with male infertility factors.
Approach to treatment
Dr. La Nasa feels strongly about communication.
In order to care for patients successfully, he feels it’s essential to first listen to his patients and their needs, and then continue with a treatment plan that is transparent and thorough.
On a personal note
Awards, memberships, leadership & publications
Dr. La Nasa is active on several hospital and university committees and in other leadership positions. He has received several grants and has made numerous presentations. His professional organization memberships, committee offices, publications and articles in preparation follow.
- Orleans Parish Medical Society, 1975-2005
- Louisiana State Medical Society, 1975-2005
- Southern Medical Association, joined 1975
- American Fertility Society, joined 1975 (became ASRM 1995)
- Charter member American Society of Andrology, joined 1975
- Louisiana Urological Society, joined 1975
- LSU Urology Alumni Association, joined 1975
- Member Southeastern Section American Urological Association, joined 1977
- American Urological Association, joined 1977
- Louisiana Kidney Foundation Advisory Board – joined 1977
- River Parishes Medical Society, joined 1982
- Societe Internationale D’Urologie, joined 1988
- UROTIGERS LSU Alumni Association
Offices & Committees
- President, Louisiana Urological Society. 1976-77, Secretary–Treasurer, 1990-91
- President, LSU Urology Alumni Association, 1977-81
- President, Urology Section Southern Medical Association, 1979-80
- President Elect, Medical Staff, St. Jude Medical Center, 1992-94
- President Medical Staff, St. Jude Medical Center, Aug. 15, 1994 – Dec. 31, 1996
- Chairman, Audio Visual Committee, 1977, Southeastern Section AUA Meeting and Transportation Committee, 1997
- Chairman, Membership Committee, American Society of Andrology, 1980-1982
- Chairman, Abstract Committee, 6th Annual Meeting American Society of Andrology, 1981
- Chairman, Department of Surgery, River Parishes Hospital, 1982-1985
- Chairman, Department of Surgery, St. Jude Medical Center, 1990-1992
- Chairman, Abstract Committee, Male Reproduction Committee, American Fertility Society Annual Meeting, 1993
- Board of Directors, River Parishes Hospital, Vice Chairman, 1982-1993
- Board of Directors, St. Jude Medical Center, Vice Chairman, Sept. 1994 – Dec. 1996
- Board of Directors, Kenner Regional Medical Center, Member at Large, January 1997 – October 2005
- Member, Industry Committee, American Fertility Society, 1990-1996
- Member, Associate Chairman Sessions Management Committee, American Fertility Society, 1975–1991
- Member, Regional Postgraduate Planning Committee, American Fertility Society, 1989 1990
- Member, Urology/Male Reproduction Committee, American Fertility Society, 1981
- Member, Executive Committee of Kenner Regional Medical Center as past president of staff, 1996-1998
- Member, Executive Committee of Kenner Regional Medical Center, as member at large, 1998-2000
- Member, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, St. Francis Medical Center, 2007-2008
- Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities (University of Notre Dame), 1963-64
- Outstanding Young Men in America, 1976
- Who’s Who in America, Southwest Edition, 1980-1981, 1993-1994
- Top Doctors in New Orleans, August 2001
- Managing UTI in the Female Patient, Primary Care Institute Monograph., Publications Supported by E.R. Squibb & sons, Inc. May 1976
- Epidermal Cyst of Median Raphe, Urology, Vo. VII:401, 1976
- Correlation of Physical Examination of Sub-Fertile Males with Laboratory Evaluation, Abstracts of IX World Congress on Fertility and Sterility, Journal of Fertility and Sterlity, Feb. 1977
- Surgical Treatment of Urethral Stricture: 10 Years Experience at Charity Hospital of Louisiana at New Orleans, Louisiana. Dr. Robert Alexander, Dr. James Spadaro, Jr., Dr. John R. Stripling, Dr. Joseph A. La Nasa Jr., Dr. Louis S. Ozog and Dr. Gilbert C. Tomskey. Journel of the Southern Medical Association, Vo. 70, No. 12, Dec. 1977
- Insights in Fertility, Journal Club Urology, Vo. I, No. 2, Feb 1978.
- Transcatheter Embolozation of Hypogastric Branch Arteries in the Management oflntractable Bladder Hemorrhage, Dr. Erich K. Lang, Dr. Jules S. Deutsch, Dr. Jack R. Goodman, Troy E. Barnett, Dr. Joseph A. La NasaJr., Vol. 121, No. 1 Journal of Urology, Jan. 1979
- Ureteral Obstruction Due to Malakoplakia of the Bladder Over the Ureteral Orifice-Dr. John R. Stripling, III, Dr. Gilbert c. Tomskey, Dr. Joseph A. La Nasa, Jr., and Dr. Louis Ozog. Journal of the Southern Medical Association, Vol. 72:490, April 1979.
- Management of Urinary Fistulas and Strictures with Percutaneous Ureteral Stent Catheters, E. K. Lang, J. A. La Nasa Jr., J. Garrett, J. Stripling and J. Palmer, Journal of Urology, Vol. 122:736, Dec. 1979.
- Office Evaluation of the Infertile Couple, Dr. Joseph A. La Nasa Jr., Urologic Clinics of North America 7:121, Feb. 1980
- Syllabus for Management of the Infertile Couple, R.P. Dickey and J. A. La Nasa Jr., Postgraduate Course, American Academy of Family Physicians, New Orleans, t 981.
- Results of Medical and Surgical Therapy in 100 Sub-Fertile Couples based upon results of scrotal exploration and testicular biopsy, E. Romano, E. Fermanis, and J.A. La Nasa Jr., Fertility and Sterlilty 35:256, 1981.
- Disorders of the Scrotum and Its Contents in Diagnosis of Genito-urinary Disease, edited by M.I. Resnick and R. Older, J. A. La Nasa Jr., and E. Lang, Thieme-Stratton, Inc. New York, pp. 433 -486.
- Correlation of Sperm Agglutination and Positive Prostatic Expressate. E. Randrup and J. A. La Nasa Journal of Andrology, 3:26, 1982.
- STUDIES of Human Testis,XVII. Gonadotrophin regulation of intratesticular testosterone and estradiol in infertile men. J. Takahashi, Y. Higashi, J. A. La Nasa Jr., K. Yoshida, S.J. Winters, H. Oshima, P. Troen. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 55:1703, 1982
- Studies of the Human Testis XVIII. Simultaneous Measurement of Nine Intratesticular Steroid: Evidence for Reduced Mitrochondrial Function in Testis of Elderly Men. J. Takahashi, Y. Higashi, J.A.La Nasa Jr., K. Tolshida, S. J. Winters, H. Oshima and P. Troen. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolis 56:1178-1187, 1983.
- Middle-Life GU Problems, J.A. La Nasa Jr., Audio Digest Family Practice, Vol. 32, No. 7, Feb. 1984.
- Evaluation and Treatment of the Infertile Male, J. A. La Nasa Jr.,and R. Urry, Reproductive Endrcrinology, edited by Elwyn Grimes, Thieme-Stratton, Inc., New York, Vol. 3:2, pp. 113 -138, May 1985.
- Trans-Septal Crossed Vaso-Vasostomy, E.F. Liza, J.L. Mannar, S.S. Schmidt, J. A. La Nasa Jr., I. D. Sharlip, A. J. Thomas, et al. Journal of Urology, Vol. 134:1131-1132, 1985.
- Varicocele and Its Surgical Management, J.A. La Nasa Jr. and R. W. Lewis. Urologic Clinics of North America, Vol.14, No. l pp.127-136, 1987.
- Fertilization of Human Oocytes by Microinjection of Human Sperm Aspirated from the Caput Epididymis of an Individual with Obstructive Azoospermia. T. T. Olar, J. A. La Nasa Jr., R. P. Dickey, S. N. Taylor, and David N. Curole. Journal ofln-Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp 160- 164, 1990.
- Varicocele and Its Surgical Management with Commentary. J. A. La Nasa, Jr. and R. W. Lewis, Current Operative Urology, 1992, edited by E. Douglas Whitehead, J. B. Lippencott Co., Philadelphia pp. 284 – 299.
- Controversies in Male-Factor Infertility, J. A. La Nasa Jr. and W. J. Hellstrom, Medical Portfolio for Urologists, Vol. 9, No. 1, Sept. 1997.
- Placement of Metallic Stents in Ureters Obstructed by Carcinoma of Cervix to Maintain Renal Function in Patients Undergoing Long-Term Chemo-Therapy. E. K. Lang, R. J. Irwin, R. A. Lopez Martinez, J. A. La Nasa Jr., N. Kassabian, R. A. Watson, American Journal Roentgcnology, Vol. 171, pp. 1595 – 1599, Dec. 1998.
Articles in Preparation
- Analysis of Pertinent findings in 100 Sub-Fertile Males, Joseph A. La Nasa Jr., Submitted to Journal of Urology.
- Relationship of Testicular Atrophy to Varicocele, Joseph A. La Nasa, Jr.
- An Analysis of 50 Hypofertile Males with Varicoceles.
- A computer Analysis of 1000 Successive Semen Analysis in Sub-Fertile Males, Joseph A. La Nasa, Jr.
- Cytoxicity in Blood and Semen Samples of 37 Men Exposed to 2-Dibromo, -3 Cholor-Propan (DBCP) or Fumazone, Joseph A. La Nasa, Jr., Ernest Fermanis and Mary Ellen Kripp, B.S.N.
- Analysis of Fertility Potential in 39 males following Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection for testes Tumors, Donald G. Skinner and Joseph A. La Nasa, Jr.