About Our Practice
The Fertility Institute of New Orleans
Since Dr. Richard Dickey founded The Fertility Institute New Orleans in 1976 it has grown to include four other physicians and a skilled staff of thirty.
We all care about our patients and are as delighted as they are with every pregnancy. Devoted to the care of infertile couples, The Fertility Institute was among the first such private fertility clinics in the United States.
Dr. Dickey, a board certified physician in Reproductive Endocrinology, made the decision to leave his position as Chief of the Reproductive Medicine Section of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Louisiana State University’s School of Medicine. Anticipating the increased problem of infertility in the "baby boomers", he wanted to provide a specialized place for diagnosis and treatment outside the realm of academic medicine.
Some of our accomplishments include:
- Establishing the first sperm bank in the Gulf South, 1982
- Performing the first in vitro fertilization (IVF) procedure in the Gulf South, 1983
- Performing the first gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT) procedure in the Gulf South, 1985
- Achieving the first successful IVF pregnancy in a patient with a unicornuate uterus, 1987
- Achieving the first male and female sex preselected in vitro fertilization babies
- Achieving the first zygote intrafallopian transfer (ZIFT) birth in the Gulf South, 1989
- Achieving the first partial zona dissection (PZD) birth in the Gulf South, 1993
- Achieving the first subzonal insertion (SUZI) birth in the Gulf South,1994
- Achieving the first intracytoplasmic sperm injection ((ICSI)) birth in the Gulf South, 1995
- Achieving the first successful in vitro pregnancy in a woman beyond age 44 in the U.S.
- Establishing the first frozen Embryo program in the Gulf South
- Achieving the first birth from egg donation in the Gulf South
- Achieving the delivery in USA using reombinant FSH.
The Fertility Institute is a Charter Member of the IVF Registry and of the Society of Assisted Reproductive Technologies. Our laboratory is certified by the College of American Pathologists. The Fertility Institute has been named a Center of Excellence (COE) for its infertility program by health services leader, Optum. A COE designation is given to medical practices combining top-quality clinical care with excellent patient support and consistently deliver safe, evidenced-based care.
The Nursing Staff
...attends to the immediate needs of the patient. They are highly trained and specialized in the field of reproduction. We take a great deal of pride in the standards of care they have achieved and support their continuing education and professionalism.
The Laboratory Staff
...plays an integral part in the cycle of reproduction. Their quality control is essential as is their highly specialized training, particularly due to the skills involved in the advanced procedures in Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART).
The Administrative Staff
...provides the essential services needed by patients from scheduling to insurance billing. Should you need travel or accommodations assistance, we will be happy to help.